----------------------------------------------- Google Site Map ----------------------------------------------- Cindy in ...: Chiang Mai: Three Months

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Chiang Mai: Three Months












I've been in Chiang Mai since October 28th. That's three months into a new endeavor, staying in one place instead of moving around, and three months is always the pits. Our reaction and adjustment to new things runs on a fairly predictable schedule, so reliable that new teachers in Japan's Jet program are given a week by week outline of how they will feel. And no matter how confidant they are that they are well-prepared and they won't follow the pattern, everyone I talked to told me the same thing. They do. I guess adjusting is adjusting, and you can ease the process only so much.












And I'm following the same pattern. The traffic that was mildly annoying now seems nearly intolerable. I'm getting a bit impatient with slow service. My craving for western food has increased as my tolerance for its inevitable straying from the 'real thing' wanes.












At least I know that this is just the pattern, the period when I am most aware of problems, yet not quite able to cope enough to feel I belong.

No comments: