----------------------------------------------- Google Site Map ----------------------------------------------- Cindy in ...: Chiang Mai: Westerner Heaven

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Chiang Mai: Westerner Heaven

Yesterday I went to the oldest mall in Chiang Mai. Homesick Westerner heaven! Pizza Hut, Aunt Annie's, Mr. Donut, Sizzler, KFC. I got my cell phone unlocked and got a Thai sim card, ate junk I shouldn't have, and saw Denzel Washington's latest movie, "Deja Vu".

I priced some electronic goods, and they seemed to be priced about the same as at a discount store in America. For instance, the most basic of DVD players available (for TV hook-up, not stand-alone play), was 1000 baht, or $29. I think that is about what a cheap one costs in the US. It's still a lot for a Thai not making a lot of money, but in some countries the salaries are worse and imported goods cost more.

When I walked out of the mall, what had been a sidewalk and terrace had been converted into a market. No tourist stuff in sight, just food and ordinary everyday things. And it was busy. On the tuktuk back to the guesthouse I passed big openair restaurants, with cafeteria-style seating, and they were jammed and their were people out everywhere. It seems backwards to me, but the tourist areas sort of shut down at 8:30 or so. But the locals are out and about.

No comments: